Here at Skinny, we know that you lovely lot are always on the go. Whether it’s dashing round the shops, scrubbing the house, walking the dog, feeding the cat, doing the school run, not to mention juggling work – you’re a blimmin’ busy bunch! So it’s no wonder then, that after a long day of all of the above (and more!) you’re not exactly pumped at the thought of making a healthy meal all from scratch...
The good news? Low calorie recipes can be just as quick to make as our go-to microwave meals. In fact, there’s a whole bunch of scrumptious low calorie ideas out there that are super speedy, super easy, and super duper cheap to make. To make life a little easier and offer up some foodie inspo, Team Skinny have got together to list our all-time fave low calorie recipes, perfect for those days when you’re up against the clock. Save room for a Skinny Bar though, eh?
1) Super-speedy stuffed peppers (Serves 6)
Bits you’ll need:
- 1 packet of microwaveable rice of your fave flavour • 2 teaspoons of olive oil • 1 chopped medium onion • 2 tablespoons of tomato puree • garlic salt or 1 clove of mashed garlic • 1 pack of beef mince (the leaner the meat, the less fat!) • 6 bell peppers with the tops removed (see pic!) • salt and pepper to season • some sliced or grated mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Pop your packet of rice in the microwave for the time it says on the pack (around 2 mins). In a frying pan, heat up the oil and cook your onion slices until soft (for about 5 mins). Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook for 1 min more. Add in your beef mince, breaking it up good and proper with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Cook and stir for about 6 mins and then drain the fat with a sieve.
- Pop the beef back in the frying pan and now add in your packet rice and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pep. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes until it smells almost irresistible!
- Place peppers cut side-up baking tray and drizzle with a teenie bit of oil. Spoon your yummy beef mixture into each pepper and top with a slice of mozzarella.
- Cover peppers with a layer of tin foil and then pop in the oven. Bake until the peppers are nice and soft, for about 35 mins (longer if you like them crispier!)
- Season with some more herbs or a bit of what you fancy and then dive in...
2) Easy-cheesy chicken tacos (Makes 12 tacos)
Bits you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil • 1 chopped onion • 1 large packet of cooked/roasted chicken, cut up/shredded • 1 green chilli, sliced (more if you can handle the heat!) • 1 small tub of salsa sauce • 1 can of black beans • 12 taco shells (hard or soft, it’s up to you!) • 70g of grated cheddar cheese (more if you’re feeling naughty) • salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 190ºc. In a frying pan over medium setting, heat the oil.
- Cook the onion until love and soft (for about 6 mins) then season with salt and pepper. Add the cooked chicken, chopped green chilli, salsa and stir until mixed together and heated right through.
- In a baking tin or casserole dish, spread a really thin layer of the black beans (to help the taco shells stand up!). Spoon the rest of your beans into the bottom of each of your taco shells and top with the scrummy, cheesy chicken mixture.
- Top all over with some extra cheese and bake until the cheese is super melty (about 10 minutes!)
- Leave to cool a little and tuck in!
3) Rainbow stir fry in-a-rush (Serves 4)
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced or mashed • 1 dollop of peanut butter (YUM) • 3 tablespoons of soy sauce • 4 tablespoons of water • 2 tablespoons of honey • 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil • 1 sliced red pepper • 1 sliced yellow pepper • 1 sliced red onion • 1 broccoli head with pieces sliced • a handful of green beans • 4 medium carrots cut into slices • 1 pack of egg noodles
- In a big bowl, mix your garlic, peanut butter, soy sauce, water, honey, and stir until nice’n smooth. Then season with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Heat a big frying pan or wok over medium/high heat and add the vegetable oil.
- Toss in your onions, carrots, broccoli, peppers and green beans and cook until a bit soft, but still keeping their bright colours! This will only take about 10 mins.
- Then add your egg noodles straight to the wok at the end and stir on a low heat.
- Serve and munch!
*You can even add some scrummy pork, chicken, prawns or tofu to this if you fancy!
4) Chicken curry in-a-hurry (Serves 6)
- 1 large chopped onion • 1 chopped red chilli • handful of chopped coriander (dried will do though too!) • 1 tablespoon of medium curry powder • 2 red peppers, chopped up • 4 diced chicken breasts • 1 small cauliflower, with florets cut up • 1 tin of chopped tomatoes • 200g of washed baby spinach
- Mix together the onion, ginger and chilli with a splash of water in a small blender. Then toss the mixture into a pan and bring to a simmer. Add the spices and coriander with a pinch of salt, and cook for 1 min. Then add your peppers, chicken and cauliflower. Stir into the scrummy curry paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, then half-fill the empty can with water and tip into the pan. Simmer on a low heat for 25 minutes to make sure the chicken is cooked through. Cook for another few mins if the sauce is too thin for your liking. Then stir in your spinach until it’s dark and wilted. Season with whatever you fancy and serve in a lovely big bowl!
*This one can also be made without the chicken and you can add some roasted sweet potato chunks instead of the meat!
So there you have it… Our top four easy-peasy, low fat recipes that you can rustle up for you and the fam in a hurry – or keep for yourself and freeze for later, obvs! Just think of all the time, money and calories you’ll be saving with this lot. Oh and did we mention they’re absolutely delish?
Here at Skinny, we don’t believe in setting super strict limits or denying ourselves the scrummy grub that makes us happy. That’s why we’ll be sending out more recipes in the future to remind you lovely lot that you really can have it all. Fab flavours, without rules.
So keep an eye out for more of our low calorie recipes, we’ll keep them coming! To feel even more a part of the Skinny community, make sure you’re following us on Instagram - we love to hear about your journeys on there! 🙂
Team Skinny xx